Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Yarn Emergency

You may notice that my yarn-purchase counter (see sidebar) has been recently reset. This was the result of a true yarn emergency. You didn't know such a thing existed? You must not be a knitter. Or at least not a knitter with a three-year-old who is extremely attached to his "Blankie".

Here is a photo of the blanket I knit for B in the last few weeks before he joined us on this side of the womb:




britton_blanket02


How can I describe the feelings that went into this project? Creating something soft and warm for a tiny being growing inside of me, who is part of me . . . well, if you've ever created something for your own unborn child, you will understand. Here is a photo of him with the blanket at just a tad over two weeks old:




britton_blanket03


He seems sort of oblivious to it in that photo, but in the three-and-a-half years since then, B has grown rather fond of "Blankie". It goes with him everywhere, and is a necessary companion at naptime or bedtime. It has been a very real source of comfort to him through the stresses of infant- and toddlerhood. This, for example, is what he wanted to do when we brought him home from the hospital after surgery on his thumb:




IMG_1447


Although all of my children have special blankets they've loved since birth, B is unique in choosing a "favorite corner" on his. I have no idea what made that corner special--it never seemed any different to me--but he could always differentiate it from the other three. In fact, in the past couple of years, he would insist on finding that corner before he could settle down with Blankie. He would gently rub it back and forth across his upper lip, visibly calming down almost immediately.

More recently, he began inserting his fingers into the stitches of his favorite corner, pulling and twisting them out of shape. The holes got larger and larger, but to be honest, I was surprised by how long the yarn held up under this kind of "loving". A few days ago, however, we noticed that B's favorite corner now looked like this:



IMG_2545


It's hard to tell from the photo, but the hole is large enough to fit over B's head--definitely a safety hazard. We were able to effect a temporary fix by tying a large knot in the corner, but it's only a matter of time before he unties it. I've been trying to prepare him for the necessity of a new blanket ever since I noticed the beginnings of a hole, but I'm not sure he truly understands what that will mean. I had him look through blanket patterns with me and talked about choosing yarn colors, but he just smiled and said, "The kind you already made is the right one, Mom!"

So, I purchased the same yarn in the same color (so glad it's still available!) to attempt a reincarnated version of Blankie. (From Jimmy Beans Wool, if you want to know. Best customer service of any yarn shop I have ever experienced!) I realize that he may completely reject the resulting blanket, but I have to try! I feel very gratified that something I made for him has brought such love and comfort to him for so long, and can only hope that a new blanket will do the same in its own way.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you are TOTALLY exempted from the "no-yarn-purchasing" rule!!! :) This post is so heartwarming - it's wonderful that B is so attached to his blankie, and SO cute that he's even picked a favorite corner! :) It's amazing how kids can figure out that sort of thing, and I LOVE how comforting they find their special blankies (or other lovey things).

    This post gives me hope, too, since I've been working on a sunny yellow blankie for our upcoming little one, and (this is funny to me!) in the same pattern, LOL! Of course, it's just the acrylic Baby Soft stuff instead of wool, but it's soft and snuggly, and do-able for me.

    Happy replacement-blankie-making! I'm SO glad they had the same color & everything for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Krista! That is funny that your blanket is the same pattern--I'm sure your little one will adore it. Baby Soft is an awesome choice for a baby blanket, btw. My younger daughter's "blankie" is in that yarn, and it looks like new after almost two years! (She hasn't been quite as hard on her blanket as B, but it is just as well-loved.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I had no idea you were doing a blog - I'm definitely going to have to come back and check it out some more. I just love your creations! Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete